Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology (UOG) is seeking expressions of interest for editorial positions.
These appointments are to replace retiring Editors and expand the Journal's team of Editors in specific research fields in obstetrics and gynecology. The positions will start in October 2021.
Editors of UOG are responsible for overseeing the peer review of manuscripts assigned to them and helping to guide the progress of the Journal. In addition to knowledge of imaging in the fields of obstetrics/fetal medicine and/or gynecology and reproductive medicine, prospective Editors should have a track record of publications in high-quality scientific research journals, be familiar with the peer-review process, have an understanding of basic statistical principles and have good command of the English language. Applicants with experience and expertise in genetics are particularly encouraged to apply.
Appointments will be made with consideration to the truly international nature of UOG’s authorship and readership. There is no honorarium for this role but some expenses will be covered.
Applicants should submit their CV and a covering letter, explaining why they are interested in the role and outlining any relevant experience, by email to email@example.com.
Application deadline: Monday 30th August 2021.
- To solicit the submission of high-quality manuscripts to the Journal
- To evaluate submitted Contributions in accordance with the editorial policy, and to select suitable Contributions for the peer-review process
- To arrange for and supervise the independent peer review of Contributions by two or more reviewers, and to make or request the Contributor to make such revisions as the Editor and/or reviewers deem appropriate, and to reject any Contribution the Editor deems unsatisfactory
- To make his or her best efforts to ensure the currency and accuracy of the contents of each Contribution accepted for publication as of the date on which the Contribution is forwarded to the Publisher and to perform other editorial services as usually performed by journal editors
- To support the Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Office in the fulfilment of the publication process as necessary
- To use ScholarOne Manuscripts, or an equivalent editorial office system, for the receipt of Contributions and management of the peer-review process in liaison with the Editorial Office and Editor-in-Chief
- To attend the ISUOG World Congress (or any other conferences as are deemed appropriate by, and agreed in advance with, the Society) for planned editorial meetings of the Journal
Terms of appointment:
- The Editor term lasts for 3 years, renewable for a further equivalent term of 3 years at the mutual agreement of the parties and up to a total of two complete terms (in line with the Society policy at the time)
- An allowance (to be determined by the Editor-in-Chief annually) will be given as a contribution towards travel and accommodation costs in attending the annual meetings of the Editors and Editorial Board
- Editors must commit to meet at least once a year at the ISUOG World Congress, and to attend the Editorial Board meeting and any other meetings as are deemed appropriate by, and agreed in advance with, the Society
- Medical or allied medical professional, practicing in the field of obstetrics and/or gynecology and/or ultrasound
- PhD, MD or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline
- Significant publications in high-quality peer-reviewed research journals
- Experience of editing medical/scientific texts
- Experience in peer review, decision-making and journal development
- Proven track record of publications in medical/scientific research journals
- Good understanding of readers’ needs and habits: both clinicians and researchers
- Understanding of journal Impact Factor calculations and awareness of other metrics
- Up to date with clinical practice and advancements in obstetrics and gynecology
- Understanding of basic statistical principles
- Strong organisational and time-management skills
- Willing to respect peer-review deadlines
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English